My suggestions on everything Battle Royale

• Founders

I will begin by stating my suggestion, then beneath I may include some reasoning.
    Some statements are worded as demands with emphasized text to showcase my desire to have it included in the game; and others are explained with lackluster explanations, but I’d rather put my opinion out there and allow someone else to help finalize the conception of the suggestion.
    The statements are made assuming everything I’ve listed were to be included in the game.

Edit: Some comments not outlined here can be found on the Mavericks Reddit

Spawning in

• Provide a gun on spawn
    This helps eliminate the RNG nature that Battle Royales inherently have, providing a starting chance to anyone
    • Discourage ‘hot drops’
    No area on the map should have a greater concentration of loot, encouraging players to land there and battle it out for a full kit from spawn. These players should still be able to fight greater numbers in other game modes like FFA, instead of making a stale mid-game for those trying to play Battle Royale.

Healing

• All players should start with a (medium sized) health kit
    Providing a heal from the start allows more risk to be taken early-game, yet encourages and allows people to live until the mid-game. This also compensates for everyone starting off with a gun.
    • A player should be able move while healing, in an unconfined area, but at a reduced speed and with a visual and audible impairment of bandaging
    Limiting movement while healing makes for an inconsistency, which is bad for new player experience. But the player bandaging should still be put at a disadvantage of being less likely to hear enemy footsteps, or must concentrate greater to ignore the bandaging animation
    • Meds need to be selectable in that I should be able to select a hotkey or fiddle with my selected med tool in inventory to have control over exactly how much I heal, and how long it takes me to heal.
    Hotkey would be indispensable, and inventory fiddling an alternative option

Knocked players

• Knocked players bleed out at a consistent rate
    Regardless of position in zone, the knocked players should have a consistent bleed out rate to provide intuition that ‘hey, my teammate is knocked, I have x seconds to revive them’
    Time should be between 30-100 seconds and indicated on the health bar
    • Knocked players bleed out stops if in the process of being revived
    This allows better timing, to be able to start the revive at 1 second left, or start it at 15 and know if you stop to kill someone, you have 15 seconds to reinitiate the revive
    Knocked players can still look around to relay information to team
    Including animations here to add visual and audio clutter to reduce the effectiveness.
    Animations could include blood or gray effects on screen, calling for help to mask enemy footsteps, animations for turning 180 degrees to slow down rotation speed
    • Knocked players should NOT be able to crawl
    This will piggy back off the point below
    I personally finish my knock if there is a lot of chaos in the current engagement and I may not be able to find them later, making me unaware if they were revived or not, which would put me at a disadvantage for knocking them out, something which should be rewarded.
    • Knocked players can only be moved by being dragged by teammates
    Teammates would be able to drag player a short sprint away – and a walking pace thereafter - providing safety to the person reviving, meanwhile alerting the enemy that the knocked player is being attempted to be revived

Reviving players

• Short revive time
    Since reviving would also require moving the teammate to safety, a revive time of 3-6 seconds would suit, as it all in all would take over 10 seconds to safely begin the revive.
    This would encourage pushing because the enemy would know a revive would be beginning soon, and even if they couldn’t stop it, they could catch the team off guard or before healing begins
    • Revive health
    I could not suggest any value for this, but I do ask that it factors in healing time, and damage models.
    Provide a revived player with enough health that they survive the equivalent of two body shots (of the average weapon), but not to force them to heal for over 15-20 seconds
    Revive animation
    Again, to compensate for the short revive time, there needs to be a disadvantage.
    Noises and visual clutter animations are the way to go.
    My over-the-top idea is to have the reviving player bend down to pick up the fallen teammate, as their head scans the surroundings in a 180-degree view

Eliminating players

• Knocked players should only be eliminated via an execution animation of sorts
    I personally hate to be killed meanwhile my squad lives on to the finish off the game. Some other games try to remedy this by adding a delay to when the knocked person can take damage, but this isn’t intuitive; and a damage reduction to knocked players would not be the right approach either.
    The animation would be along the lines of a step on the chest and a pistol shot, something quick yet risky
    **I have a lot of thoughts on this one, so please, if you comment on anything, let it be this one.
    • After being eliminated the player should be provided stats on their death (not necessarily a killcam)
    Specifically: damage to target player, damage from target player, and health/armor remaining for target player
    • Spectating should be defaulted to after death, with no prompt
    But make it easy to leave the match, even a key binding would be convenient

Looting

• Overhead icons on loot
    When within a range of say 25m to loot, adding a scope icon with the word ‘1x’ beside it could greatly speed up the looting time; this would lower the entry level for new players, meanwhile only providing veterans with seconds less of wasted time.
    Edit: to clarify I refer to ground loot, and not loot dropped by enemies in a bag of sorts (I give the example of an attachment lying on the ground)
    • Consistent item placement in looting ‘tab’ menu
    Pre-defined categories like Guns/Ammo/Attachments/Heals would be beneficial to help locate the desired item
    Stray away from scrolling menus
    • Allow for picking up all items in vicinity (must be on ground)
    Something as simple as a double tap of the ‘tab’ key could allow for looting of gun and ammo, and not force the player to stand still for a prolonged period
    This would be a Quality of Life improvement that would give veterans a distinct - but not desired – advantage, seeing as looting should put you at a disadvantage.

Inventory

• Consistent item placement in inventory screen
    Things like ammo/heals/grenades should always be in the same place in the inventory, regardless if you have it or not
    This allows for muscle memory and less searching for this or that; beneficial to veterans
    • Hotkey inventory splitting
    Allow the keys 1-3 to be used for 100%/50%/33% split of whatever item is being hovered over
    The key 1 could also be used to drop any item being hovered over
    • Inventory screen should not obstruct the entire view into the game
    Helps provide a sense of immersion, and allows me to not die in inventory screen as often

Kill feed

The kill feeds purpose is to provide essential information quickly.
    The information I need to quickly extract is who died (friend or foe), what weapon was used (so I can echo locate or plan the engagement) and was it a knock or an elimination (to know how many people could be involved in the fight).
    Squad mates’ names should be in an alternative color to the names of enemies. I have previously proposed the ‘health bar green.’
    Kill feed could be either local or global

Below will be my recommended layout – all right aligned - considering the proposed UI on Mavericks social channels with current kill feed location:
    Knock
    Killer’s Name, Weapon, Name, Knock Icon
    Execution
    Killer’s Name, Weapon, Name, Execution Icon
    Elimination
    Killer’s Name, Weapon, Name, Elimination Icon
    Full team elimination
    • All players still in the knocked state will show in feed with the elimination icon; in order of occurrence
    • Provide an elimination in the feed for the last enemy in the team to be eliminated.
    • All events are to be shown as correlating by visually connecting all events together
    i.e. a yellow line in between each event icon, indicating because this happened, this chain of events occurred

Point of View

Just have First Person Perspective (FPP) and not a Third Person Perspective (TPP)
    As much as I want this game to be suitable for all play styles, increasing the player base, I do not think it results in a healthy community.
    Personally, I log off for the night when I have no one to play with, so I often resort to LFG channels to try to find a squad so that I can keep playing, meanwhile enjoying my time online. My criteria is often to have someone that has a similar play style to me, and although I am sure they are plentiful, it divides my options in half if there are two LFG sub-communities, FPP and TPP. Surely, I will come back the next day, but if the problem persists of not having the player base to divide in half, my retention to the game will likely not persist.

Discussion encouraged

I want this to be a debate, not an argument. Please respond by quoting what you are rebutting and propose your alternative.

A note to the developers: I approached these suggestions to have a net effect of increasing the strategy and competition within the genre, meanwhile adding a consistency factor. But I also want to note that Battle Royale does not, and should not, be the only competitive option for this game.
    I may draft a proposition for that next weekend ;)
    And animation team, I took the liberty of bolding, and italicizing all my requested animations. Sorry Rob <3

• Staff

nice, type up man. Happy to see other players opinions on the game! A lot of the animation suggestions are already on our animation list to do which is good, the revive and knockdown animations will come once we add the team/squad features to the game.

• Founders

@sharpy-0001 said in My suggestions on everything Battle Royale:

Spawning in
    • Provide a gun on spawn
    This helps eliminate the RNG nature that Battle Royales inherently have, providing a starting chance to anyone
    • Discourage ‘hot drops’
    No area on the map should have a greater concentration of loot, encouraging players to land there and battle it out for a full kit from spawn. These players should still be able to fight greater numbers in other game modes like FFA, instead of making a stale mid-game for those trying to play Battle Royale.

Nice write-up, but I really have to disagree with these points. First of all, the hot drops: when PUBG started, it had a higher concentration of higher level loot in places like Military Base, Yasnaja, Prison etc. and it lead to incredibly adrenaline-packed fights right off the start of the match. Meanwhile, those who preferred to start quietly and gear up with lesser risks had a chance to do so by jumping to smaller and more distant locations, but they are not gonna waltz in to the mid-game with level 3 gear. Lower risk, lower reward. However, higher loot locations that required long parachuting provided a lower risk / higher reward possibility, but starting there always kept you on your toes, because other people could have the same idea of jumping there, so it gave you a different kind of intense feeling. This kind of arrangement gave something for everybody and gave a lot more freedom to approach the match in a way you personally want. But nowadays if you jump into Erangel, there is low-level loot everywhere; it doesn't matter where you jump, so your freedom of choice is taken away from you. Now you always approach the early game the same way and it's up to the player base to determine what locations are these so called "hot drops" if they want to have any chance of actually fighting early on. But even then, the fighting doesn't have the forementioned high risk / high reward situation, so it doesn't even matter when it comes to actually preparing yourself to win the battle royale. Freedom of choice has always appealed in the battle royale genre and loot placement has a critical impact on this!

What we also have to remember, is that Mavericks is a game with story and lore, so the world should reflect on this aspect. If a random ruined shack in the swamp holds the same kind of arsenal as the base of the Last Special Forces, it immediately ruins immersion!

I will not be mentioning the starting weapon thing, because Mavericks will actually let you carry a weapon in to the match, but I want to point out that RNG-mechanics are a simple way to keep the game fresh and make the matches play out differently. These mechanics once again are connected to how players can approach the battles differently and not always expect a level 2 gear in that same desolate shack where you can jump every time.

• Founders

Oh my God I hope to my deathbed and back the Dev team pays attention to some of these points. @MrMoody I strongly back SharpY and his points on:

• Early game chance of survival
    • ESPECIALLY the movement while healing and the balance that brings

However, I disagree largely with your reviving mechanics. Why should we be punished even more for being downed by not being able to move on top of being killed within 2 shots after being downed? You can knock and kill someone within 1 magazine with that kind of timing, not even allowing enough time for a teammate to respond. Downing a teammate provides the opportunity to push, but the risk of being killed if you take too long picking away at their health in a position not behind cover.
    The reviving mechanic sound largely difficult, not only due to animations sake, but just the mechanics of how it works and how open that makes you. I don't know if you've ever done a Combat Fitness Test, but dragging or fireman carrying another human being is SLOW and EXHAUSTING.
    Hot drops should be a thing, I got good at PUBG through School and hot city drops because I had to react, think, and move faster. However Mavericks is going to allow constant dropping initially, so how can there be hot drops...

Noting on the kill feed, I request the option be there to hide it. I don't wanna see any of that info. Distracting.

I think Autamaton said they were making Mavericks an FPP only game on the field, I don't have a reference to back that I just seem to remember it from somewhere...
    Lastly, I'm not sure how to look at the H&H update yet, but the goal of Mavericks was a BR, a competitive last man standing. What do you propose another mode would be, free for all? I bought Mavericks for the BR, nothing else.
    All interesting points, albeit near all opposite my own!

RNG MUST REIGN! k thnx GG post :ok_hand:

• Founders

@oriax-0001 said in My suggestions on everything Battle Royale:

However, I disagree largely with your reviving mechanics. Why should we be punished even more for being downed by not being able to move on top of being killed within 2 shots after being downed? You can knock and kill someone within 1 magazine with that kind of timing, not even allowing enough time for a teammate to respond. Downing a teammate provides the opportunity to push, but the risk of being killed if you take too long picking away at their health in a position not behind cover.

I'm sorry, I don't seem to understand. Would you mind editing your comment to help me better grasp your argument.
    Just include me in an @ mention below that section if you could.

The reviving mechanic sound largely difficult, not only due to animations sake, but just the mechanics of how it works and how open that makes you. I don't know if you've ever done a Combat Fitness Test, but dragging or fireman carrying another human being is SLOW and EXHAUSTING.

I only propose it because I heavily believe in not eliminating a knock instantly, but not being put at a disadvantage for getting that knock on the enemy (for reasons listed in the OP).
    The dragging aspect is to compensate for the inability of the 'knock' to crawl, and somewhat average out the quick revive time.
    To explain the animations:

• Dragging
      a. The initial fast dash it to encourage players to go for a revive, because as you mentioned, makes you open to taking damage and/or being knocked yourself.
      b. Compensate for the inability of the 'knock' to crawl, allowing you to revive in a safe location instead of the open
      c. Average out the quick revive time by making the revive process accumulate to 10+ seconds
    • Reviving
      a. Animation is quick to compensate for need to drag teammate to safe location
      b. The animation of bending down, and moving of the head helps protect you from headshots (again encouraging revives as it should not be deadly)
      c. The 'visual and audible clutter' I refer to in the animation is to reward the enemy that got the knock, by putting the knocked team at a disadvantage somewhat

Should it be a desired feature among the community and game designers, I have full faith the animation team could implement it, and wouldn't stand out as being unrealistic.

Hot drops should be a thing, I got good at PUBG through School and hot city drops because I had to react, think, and move faster. However Mavericks is going to allow constant dropping initially, so how can there be hot drops...

My initial reasoning for discouraging it (not making it impossible) was considering FFA would continue to be a mode, where you could get the thrill of you back against the wall versus the world.
    I think it is too soon for me to make the statement, as it heavily depends on the dropping/spawning into the world system that they implement.

Noting on the kill feed, I request the option be there to hide it. I don't wanna see any of that info. Distracting.

Ah great point. I first started turning it off in games in hopes of MORE FPS, then eventually I got hooked on the screen real estate
    But should I have it there, I fancy more information, less time deciphering, and believe a consistency factor is great if the elements of the kill feed align.

I bought Mavericks for the BR, nothing else.

Another game I played that had PvP and an MMO aspect included gamemodes that occured on a timer basis.
    So PvP (in this case BR) would be open all the time, but every hour and a half (or w/e it would line up with prime time) a gamemode would open. So as the majority of people were logging on, they could begin in something like the FFA mode, then move over to BR.

Thank you for commenting, if you had other things you disagreed with I would love to read it.

• Admin

Hey Sharpy,

So, we'd like to go through some of these suggestions in the near future, however, I'm not the man for that job.

We'll be planning some more content with our game designer Lawrence in the near future, and I think it would be great to cover some of these and explain why we agree/disagree with each and explain our thought process in relation to our vision for Mavericks.

• Founders

Post was edited to include a link to this post on Reddit, in which some additional comments/thoughts can be found.