Trapping 101

• What I would like to see is a crafting system for trapping that scales in level the more you use it.

So new players can only craft a basic trap and access one skill on a skill tree. The more that skill is used then new skills are unlocked and new traps become available to players as the skill tree opens up to reveal more traps. This would then give different branches that you could take as you decide the best way to trap your opponents.

You would gain rewards for getting kills from trapping and status as a Crafter the more advanced you become.

It would also be cool to directly correlate CAMOUFLAGE into the game as a skill based off the trapping system. This would be a very advanced component that would take quite a while to achieve but would be amazing!

This could then be applied to the traps, clothing, weapons, vehicles, buildings etc...

The advantages of trapping are you can allow players to follow your footprints directly into your trap, and of course you can gain remote kills!

The disadvantage of trapping is that the crafting system itself is LOUD and while you need to gain the materials for the traps you are likely to be heard from a certain distance. The bigger the trap the more the materials required (trees, rocks, metal etc...) and the larger the radius of noise you make. This is what would make trapping great it's the ultimate in risk vs reward.

List of potential traps or skills for the game.

Pit or Punji trap
    Snare Trap
    Spring spear trap
    Dead fall trap
    Tripwire shotgun trap
    Spike wall/ceiling trap
    Pressure plate log swinging down trap
    Trip wire alarm (more of a quick small warning device)
    Grenade trap (pull the pin and place it against a door)
    Land mines
    Tension release explosive trap
    Darts or projectile trap
    Poison coated items or gas cloud based trap
    Timer delayed explosive trap
    Sabotaged weapons and ammunition (that blow up in your face)
    Explosive vehicle ignition trap
    Napalm door trap
    Pipe bombs
    Tin can bomb trap

It's probably a lot to ask but I have always wanted to play a game that allows you to manipulate the environment entirely in a way that rewards your ability to be creative. For example it would be great to find a way to use water from a river or a lake to trap someone and drown them.

If we had a system that could allow us to develop the tools to harvest the resources in game and develop the traps, then this game would be something that would stand out from the rest.

Anyway I hope this inspires the dev's and feel free to post any other cool trap ideas you may have, I can't wait to hear what other people come up with.

• Admin

While I don't mind the idea of creating things within the environment, the main focus is on the persistence and destructibility of the world.

We wouldn't be adding anything that gave veteran players as advantage over new players in the way of skill trees, the idea is that regardless of your status outside of the BR, you enter the mode with the same chances as every other player and rely on your own skill over any advantages through levelling or bought from a store.

• Awesome, thanks for the quick reply Sam.

So if we got rid of the skill tree component altogether and access is available to all equally, then....could trapping still be a thing?

I know you have written about claymores and destructibility of the environment which is why I am interested in the concept so much.

I see potential for a lot of mischief and mayhem, fun and chaos and destruction.

Kind regards,

CF

• Founders

@sam said in Trapping 101:

While I don't mind the idea of creating things within the environment, the main focus is on the persistence and destructibility of the world.

We wouldn't be adding anything that gave veteran players as advantage over new players in the way of skill trees, the idea is that regardless of your status outside of the BR, you enter the mode with the same chances as every other player and rely on your own skill over any advantages through levelling or bought from a store.

agreed on the BR mode, but I like the idea on the other more sandboxy mode (which is called..?).
    BR should be on an equal field, also because if the game's gonna be free to play, it shouldn't be pay to win.

That said, I like the idea of "trap kits" like a wall mount for guns with a tripwire, so you can affix the mount on a wall, place a gun from your inventory in it, set the tripwire and be ready to go. Another good item to have would be a laser wireless tripwire that could set off a remote charge.
    I like any realistic mechanical trap (so no wall spikes please)