How is Melee combat going to work?

• Founders

Most, if not all of us are coming over from pubg and its shortcomings. Will the melee\hand to hand even be a thing? and if so will it be deeper that what we've become use to?

• Founders

Make it like battlefield 1 where if you're behind someone its a one shot animation kill. Melee in PUBG is just AWFUL! half the time it does not even register.

• Founders

@kreeper-0001

Its because there is no Thrust Momentum forwards, when you attack you stand put and getting into someones hitbox space is very very rare and its a chore to stay on them and predict their movement when you need to be so close to them and be there when the swing animation connects.

I wouldn't mind 1 hit KO animations from behind
    and Thrust Forward animations and heavy hitting shots that almost links into chain combo.

Example.

Hitting first shot in the front staggers enemy player into stunned animation(while in stunned animation players can side step 1-2 steps any direction they want but cannot attack till animation is complete).
    Melee attacker needs to follow up with second strike, if they successfully hit they kill the player.
    If melee attacker misses second shot then enemy player can recover and start fighting again.

This allows for Melee systems to work correctly in CQC situations but are not guaranteed kills unless striking from behind which should be a stealth kill.

I also Wouldnt mind a Guard Button when dealing with Melee attacks to prevent stun lock and you get to attack after their melee strike against you. Almost like a get off me and reduce damage and effectiveness.

• Founders

@noontimedrunk-0001 Melee like that with blocking would be cool.

I hope you'll also be able to use your wielded weapon for melee in a pinch as well, e.g pistol whip/hit with butt of the gun etc for a stun/stagger with a small bit of damage in a pinch. Maybe bayonets for some melee damage with the large accuracy debuff it would add?
    Maybe also consider being able to use larger weapons to block with (they are a big chunk of metal after all).

It should never be advantageous to use your firearm as a melee weapon but it's faster than switching to a knife/machete so would have use in a pinch (ambush for example). Would also give you the ability to perhaps not bring a melee weapon and use that equipment slot for different equipment etc.

• Founders

@nebbo-0001

Like a Quick stagger get off me kind of move to create separation for long barrel guns to shoot effectively.

Yo @Bikrbawkr-0001,
    The melee combat that you can expect to be playing in the beta will consist of the ability to smack players, the environment, and objects with the butt of your weapon to damage, deform and destroy. We're conscious of how slow and janky switching your equipment slot is to gameplay, and are making it a priority to ensure melee interactions are as fluid and effective as possible. Although the ability to punch/swing will be available while you do not have a weapon or if the weapon in question is primarily a melee weapon (machete).
    Cheers!

Thanks for getting in touch 🦌

• Founders

@noontimedrunk-0001 said in How is Melee combat going to work?:

@kreeper-0001

Its because there is no Thrust Momentum forwards, when you attack you stand put and getting into someones hitbox space is very very rare and its a chore to stay on them and predict their movement when you need to be so close to them and be there when the swing animation connects.

I wouldn't mind 1 hit KO animations from behind
    and Thrust Forward animations and heavy hitting shots that almost links into chain combo.

Example.

Hitting first shot in the front staggers enemy player into stunned animation(while in stunned animation players can side step 1-2 steps any direction they want but cannot attack till animation is complete).
    Melee attacker needs to follow up with second strike, if they successfully hit they kill the player.
    If melee attacker misses second shot then enemy player can recover and start fighting again.

This allows for Melee systems to work correctly in CQC situations but are not guaranteed kills unless striking from behind which should be a stealth kill.

I also Wouldnt mind a Guard Button when dealing with Melee attacks to prevent stun lock and you get to attack after their melee strike against you. Almost like a get off me and reduce damage and effectiveness.

Agreed!

• Founders

@l4wrence Brilliant! Good to see you will be able to use your weapons as a melee tool in a pinch. It should'nt be as effective as a dedicated melee weapon, but you're trading speed for damage so it's fair!

• Founders

@noontimedrunk-0001 This answer makes too much sense!

• Founders

@l4wrence Thanks for that! I'm sure i speak for many of us when i say were all looking forward to a more well rounded/ polished experience!