Streaming/Youtube

• Founders

Are we allowed to stream the early closed beta untill august or not? 🙂

They're still discussing if there will be an NDA or not. So for right now it's not sure if you'll be able to stream

• Founders

@dunc4n-0001 Okay thank you dude! 🙂 When or where i will get the info do you know?

I don't know when they've made the decision, but they'll probably announce it as soon as they know.

• Admin

At the moment, it's likely to be under NDA and not streamed.

This may change, but we would like to use a chunk of the Beta collating information and making the changes needed with the help of you guys in here before we start sharing the game to the masses.

Sadly people throwing the word "alpha" and "beta" around as an excuse for their games being unfinished has ruined peoples expectations of what to actually expect from an Alpha or Beta and then get annoyed when it's not a finished, polished game.

• Founders

@sam said in Streaming/Youtube:

Sadly people throwing the word "alpha" and "beta" around as an excuse for their games being unfinished has ruined peoples expectations of what to actually expect from an Alpha or Beta and then get annoyed when it's not a finished, polished game.

Unfortunately you couldn't have worded it any better. Every game on steam is Alpha/Beta no matter what and it stays that way for years. Steam needs to do a much better job at regulating this type of abuse. I would HIGHLY recommend doing a thorough beta/alpha process and fixing many things first before opening the flood gates to streamers. People watch streamers and see a game stutter and all the sudden the game is horrible and the masses see what the streamer says and he complains hit registering is off and the list goes on. Make the game work and make it function well first.

• Founders

@sam Okay seems right for me! 🙂 Still hyped! 😛 Am i allowed to record bugs etc at closed beta on video to send it to you? Cause i think my english is to bad to explain it in a text 😄

• Admin

Recording bugs and directly submitting them to us then probably, however we may have a system for reporting them within the game.

• Founders

Recording bugs and directly submitting them to us then probably, however we may have a system for reporting them within the game.

Good, having an extremely convenient and user friendly way of submitting bugs will only help you guys get more feed back.

• Founders

Honestly, I wouldn't even be mad if you had an unskipable 30 second 'welcome from the devs' video clip when you first load up the beta (only the first time) where you lay it out in plain English (speaking, not text as people wouldn't read it) for them what a beta actually is, what they themselves need to be looking out for and reporting and what they should be expecting in terms of performance and functionality. And finish by thanking them for participating etc.

Like you say, sadly bad devs have warped the perception of what a beta is in the public mind and the majority of people are going to need such a definition spelled out for them. I can foresee many unnecessary issues and ill-informed 'reviews' caused by this.

In fact, please do this. It would resolve so many problems with absolutely minimum disruption to the user.

• Founders

@sam Well I'm super disappointed I just bought the Founders Edition. I am a streamer who also works full time so my opportunity to play games offline is super limited. I understand the reasoning but I'm super bummed out. I've been super excited since the announcement of this game and will still stream it once I'm allowed it would be nice though for people who payed to be a founder to be able to play the game on stream in closed beta 😕

• Founders

@grav3y-0001 said in Streaming/Youtube:

super disappointed
    super limited
    super bummed out
    super excited

I'm thinking supergrav3y might have been a better name. 👀

• Founders

@sam Honestly in my personal opinion it would be a mistake to not let us stream on day one and go in the NDA direction. The exposure the streaming community helps with is tremendous.(I bet 80% of Founders are streamers) And a game this ambitious needs that exposure in every way because a lot of people I talk to in online chat are skeptical because its so ambitious but people streaming could change peoples minds. I believe this game is going to be as epic as PUBG when it blew up. Im in full support of this game so whatever you guys decide im behind it but it would soooo sick if you let us stream it and help market it to make it grow.

• Founders

I'm in favor of whatever Automaton thinks is best for their game, and I'm sure they're well aware that the streaming / YouTube community could be a huge boon for the game's reputation. I'm sure they're also aware it could be the exact opposite, hence their apparent predisposition for desiring an NDA. Some people don't seem to be looking at this from both sides of the argument.

• Founders

• Founders

@ghostcat-0001 Im also in favor of what they decide is best. But at the same time why would it hurt? Every real gamer knows what their jumping into when they jump into a game that's being built like this. Any one that judges the game in its current state and not by the final product is an ignorant fool anyways and they probably shouldn't be watching, judging or playing in the first place.

• Founders

@fykis-0001 said in Streaming/Youtube:

@ghostcat-0001 Im also in favor of what they decide is best. But at the same time why would it hurt? Every real gamer knows what their jumping into when they jump into a game that's being built like this. Any one that judges the game in its current state and not by the final product is an ignorant fool anyways and they probably shouldn't be watching, judging or playing in the first place.

Unfortunately ignorance runs rampant! People will still knock the game despite it literally not being finished or polished. But a developer knows that this stuff is part of doing business, but they need to do there best to minimize this if that's even possible now a days. Its like a double edged sword, you need players to give feed back and test, but at the same time a portion of the throng of players always expect the game to be super retail state.....

• Founders

@kreeper-0001 said in Streaming/Youtube:

Unfortunately ignorance runs rampant! People will still knock the game despite it literally not being finished or polished. But a developer knows that this stuff is part of doing business, but they need to do there best to minimize this if that's even possible now a days. Its like a double edged sword, you need players to give feed back and test, but at the same time a portion of the throng of players always expect the game to be super retail state.....

Exactly. This is why I said some people aren't considering both sides of the argument. If the game looks surprisingly good during the beta, then of course it would be beneficial to allow streaming. But if it looks rough and is filled with bugs (which very well could be the case with a true beta) then the increased exposure could backfire in a big way.

And that's why I'm completely on board with whatever Automaton wants to do. They are the only ones who could possibly know if the game is ready for massive amounts of exposure that come with Twitch / YouTube.

• Founders

I see both sides of it. Personally I don't feel the game is risking it's success by allowing streams of a closed beta. Games allow streams of closed betas all the time, and gamers have come to expect and be accustomed to unfinished products with bugs and incomplete content. In my view, any exposure is good and since Mavericks has not been marleted very much at all, a few streamers broadcasting a beta could be just what this game needs to get more buzz.

• Founders

Even if we can't stream the closed beta, I hope we can at least record footage to put out later (labeling it as closed beta footage, of course). I'd love to be able to put clips together of the shenanigans that occur in early beta. 🙂