My summary on the future and community of this game. Please read thoroughly...

• Founders

Hi guys, this is the Sarge. TL;DR at the bottom of this post.

I've seen some nasty comments about some people's predictions for Mavericks: Proving Grounds and I just wanted to share my own thoughts. I won't share where those comments come from.

Automoton would love to make a product as successful as Fortnite or PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS. This is just common sense because all game developers would want to make a game that successful. Also the people who work on a game that becomes this successful, but don't necessarily profit from it, would be able to put that on their resume.

What I will say is Community is the core of this game. What do I mean by this? I've been around since the dawn of Twitch and "mainstreaming" eSports and I've seen gaming communities soar and collapse. What I am going to tell you now is that you should not drop ad-hominems / insults to community figures (no matter how big or small) if you want to keep your game's community large.

I'll also say the scale of this game and its community will be one to be reckoned with. At least in the beginning. I was browsing the PUBG subreddit when there were only 50 users on it daily. Now there's over 5,000 people browsing it on a bad day.

Let's talk about Mavericks now. We've seen limited gameplay footage, and it looks lackluster to be honest. But does this represent the final product? FAR FROM IT! There will be an NDA on founder's beta / closed beta, but this is a form of quality control. If you were making a game and you knew it was full of bugs, would you try to sell it? Or would you try to fix those bugs and then try to sell it?

Finally let's fast forward a bit more. The community will grow. This isn't just the job of Automoton to make it happen, however. This is our job. What do I mean by that? We are the community. PUBG didn't sell 10 million copies just because Bluehole cranked out a game on the Steam marketplace. It's because streamers were playing it. It's because YouTubers were making content for it. Streamers and YouTubers will make sub-communities of their fans. Likewise, the opposite will be true: The community will shrink. It won't die off entirely. Again, referencing PUBG's subreddit, these days you can expect to find about 5,000 users at a peak. Before Fortnite surged to success, I remember PUBG got 10k browsing users regularly. However, I see no reason for the Mavericks: Proving Grounds subreddit to maintain less than 1000 regular users on a daily basis.

TL;DR - Don't bash the game too hard. It will grow, it will shrink. Automoton will not be the sole authority on determining growth, that is also our job, and making predictions on gameplay, how long the game will be on the market, etc. is a bit absurd.

EDIT: I re-read this about 24 hours after the initial post and I feel like this is worth stating - I am not a prophet. I am stating simple facts and observations that any hyped fan for any game title who also browses reddit can state. I'll also allude to another game that I played that is similar (at least in player-base scale): Planetside, and Planetside 2. If you check their subreddit there's somewhere in the range of 1000-2000 people browsing it, but almost nobody streams the game (even on Twitch). I'll make a more thorough write up / comparison of Mavericks and Planetside 2 in the near future.

• Founders

Man that was very well said, i completely agree with those points. About the community being our shared responsibility between the devs and players. Thats the beauty of game developers being so transparent compared to 10-15 years ago, we get to be a part of it and the communication goes both ways so that the developers can tweak the game to match what people want and we get to see what we are investing in. I've seen a few negative posts around the interwebs referring to MPG but the vast majority that ive seen are nothing less than stoked and ready to see this game take off. Makes me proud to be a part of this community and hopeful that we can maintain a healthy balance of criticism and compromise.

• Founders

@chubaka-0001 Again, these are just facts and the same could be said for any game title. Even cell phone games have subreddits. Check clash royale.

I would say this game's community would be healthy as long as it maintains 1000+ users on reddit. I would be even more satisfied, however, if it could maintain 1500-2000+ users.

Things that will (obviously) cause fluctuation - streamability of the founder's beta / closed beta / open beta. To some extent, however, I must also state this is something that kept me out of the loop with Planetside 2.

• Founders

I feel like you're stating the obvious.
    If I got this right, this is a forum for us Founders to write on. Since there is actually little material to judge the game on, and we all spent 30$ (I spent 32€ thanks to taxes), it's fairly normal to see people on the edge about it. Especially because, as we all know, we're basically hype victims and are paying for the privilege of bug testing the unfinished game. (When is it supposed to launch, btw? We'll be able to play a couple months, but what after that?)

I kinda feel like your post is stating the obvious, but if it helps someone, then that'll be great.

• Founders

I don't think I would benchmark the status of anything against reddit popularity. Most of the content posted there is garbage. Every now and then I'll load it up, realise just how many junk, offensive or just plain old dumb posts there are on there and then that will be it for another few months.

• Founders

@gargoyle-0001 Reddit, in some ways, is the status quo of a game's popularity.

Some gaming forums (bungie.net for example) don't post how many users are browsing the forums. They just simply post how many threads and thread replies there are.

A subreddit, however, is kind of that end-all-be-all of any game's popularity. You can't fake how many users are browsing a subreddit on any given day (unless the sub owner is paying for fake discussion, which is not a favorable notion). Those numbers can be spiked by things like subreddit drama, however.

• Founders

I know games, even mobile games, have subreddits, i just dont see this particular genre being more active on a form of media that cant be used during gameplay is what i was getting at. seems counter intuitive to have to alt/win key+tab over to your browser when you could just hop in a voice channel to ask questions or find team mates without interrupting gameplay as much.