"Quality of Life" Suggestions

• Founders

I wanted to create a list of minor quality of life features I'd like to see in Mavericks. Keep in mind that these are relatively simple items that, in theory, shouldn't require significant development or design resources to implement. This is not the thread to request more robust features like special modes, a shooting range, etc.

My suggestions are listed below, and while I can't possibly speak for everyone in this community, I wanted to at least get a dialogue started. Please feel free to discuss or disagree with my suggestions and add your own.

• Default to the mode (region, perspective, etc.) we've played most recently
    • Provide an option to display current ping during gameplay
    • Provide an option on the death or winner screen to "rematch" (requeue instantly without kicking us back to the lobby or capital)
    • Provide an option on the death or winner screen to easily add teammates as friends
    • Allow squad members to choose their icon color
    • Allow us to mute individual teammates
    • Display teammate info (name, health, status, etc.) next to the minimap rather than on the opposite side of the screen
    • Spawn all weapons on auto by default when applicable
    • Allow weapon firing mode (single, burst, auto) to be changed while reloading
    • If scopes include a variety of reticle designs / colors / opacities, allow us to set default configurations
    • Allow players to see their own kills/knocks in the kill feed (PUBG does not do this, which can cause unnecessary confusion)

That's all I have for now, but I'm interested to hear what others have to say.

• Admin

Ping display is something I'm almost 100% positive is going to be there, no reason for it not be.

Kill feed as well, don't see why you wouldn't see your own kills if it's a global feed.

Muting specific people, again, something I'm incredibly confident we'll see.

Some of the others I'm not 100% sure on, although I'm sure the design team will take a look.

• Founders

My QOL suggestions:

• List of recent players, sorted with the person that killed you at the top for ease of reporting
    • If a reload is interupted before the weapon is cocked again, upon resuming, just cock the weapon not reload fully again
    • Bind a free look press and hold control (Alt usually) to allow scanning of the area whilst moving in the direction prior to looking around.
    • Remove ability to ADS whilst transitioning between pron and any other stance.
    • Remove ability to prone whilst in the air. Make the player have to land and have tiny cool down before prone is allowed.
    • Add an 'Alert' stance, this is between walk and jog. Weapon is half ADS, so more accurate than normal hip fire but not as accurate as ADS. Allows much faster ADS time due to almost being in the stance. (Maybe bind to Ctrl+Mouse 2)
    • Add global chat mute
    • Set up 'preferred weapon load outs' then if that weapon is selected, auto pick up the attachments and apply them. Once equipped weapon slot complete allow secondary weapon to do the same

Maybe some of these people will disagree with but these are what I think will remove some of the BS and make the game more skill based.

• Founders

@sam said in "Quality of Life" Suggestions:

Ping display is something I'm almost 100% positive is going to be there, no reason for it not be.

One would think, but...look at PUBG. 👀

Kill feed as well, don't see why you wouldn't see your own kills if it's a global feed.

Again...PUBG. 🤷

You guessed it...PUBG. 😁

Some of the others I'm not 100% sure on, although I'm sure the design team will take a look.

Much appreciated! I think many of soBr0kEn's suggestions are worth passing along to the design team as well.

• Founders

@sobr0ken-0001

• Free look
    • Global chat mute (I thought of putting this first, but I'm 99% sure it's going to be in anyway)
    • Disable ADS when transitioning from prone to crouch/stand
    • Cool down period for prone after falling
    • Resuming reload

I strongly second all of these (listed in order of importance, in my opinion).

• Founders

@sobr0ken-0001 said in "Quality of Life" Suggestions:

Set up 'preferred weapon load outs' then if that weapon is selected, auto pick up the attachments and apply them. Once equipped weapon slot complete allow secondary weapon to do the same

Nope. I really don't like this one.

Part of the gameplay is collecting the items you want and attaching them to the guns, etc. I think it's a bit beyond the target "feel" of the game to have items magically jump off the ground and attach them to your weapons.

Additionally, learning when to reload, swap attachments, firing modes and even change guns is a skill that players need to learn. I've lost count the number of times I've gone for a spray-and-pray kill with an SMG only to realise that I've left it on single fire mode!

I'm sure I recall someone mention in some previous videos or something that the looting system is going to be much more involved that just finding piles of things on the floor. So perhaps the weapons we find could already have existing attachments on them?

EDIT:
    Oh, the only thing I would really like to see is the ability to manage inventory, attachments, reload etc without having to stop moving.

• Admin

Free look I think will be fairly important, however not spoken to the design team about it yet.

• Founders

@gargoyle-0001 With the reload, I agree learning the correct times to reload is essential, however quick swapping to a pistol is sometimes your only option, I think if you have the mag on but not cocked, when you swap back that should be the stage you continue from.

The auto pickup was just an idea I had and looking back yeah I see your point.

• Founders

Free look I think will be fairly important, however not spoken to the design team about it yet.

Thanks again for being so responsive, Sam.

Are there plans for another Making Mavericks or Round Table video before the Founder's Beta hits? If so, is there (or will there be) a central location for us to submit questions?

• Founders

One from me, can we have grenades/chuckables default to the backpack, or for preference a separate queue, when picked up rather than a weapon slot. I just find it really annoying to have to scroll through the grenade when I'm trying to switch between rifles.

• Founders

For me the best QoL improvement you could implement is the ability to see squad inventory.
    I would recommend making this default TAB key, and implementing the previously suggested mute and friend buttons in the ESC screen.

Seeing as the TAB menu would only show [a max] of 4 teammates , a zoomed in version of the map could be included on the right, whereas the teammates inventory could be found on the left.

If a teammate dies, make a [color overlay] change to notify anyone looking that they are dead, but retain the items in the TAB screen to see if it is worth looting their body.

Granted this would be harder to implement, so perhaps not suited for this thread, but it would be a quality of life improvement none-the-less 😉

@ghostcat-0001

They informed us that some gameplay should be released before beta, and most likely early August, so that could be a Making Mavericks video of its own and would therefore be followed up by a Mavericks Round Table
    I've submitted my questions on Reddit and had them respond, so I would suggest the same to you (or Discord maybe)

• Founders

@sharpy-0001 I totally disagree with that.

Being a good team needs players to play as a team. I don't want to mess my inventory with my mates' stuf, too many things to see. I need a quick view. And communicating with my team mates and having our prefered roles well trained (knowing who is better with SR, who plays better as fragger, etc.), everyone of us know what items shall we pass to our mates and how to ask for something that we need.

Squad matches need to reward squads that play as a squad in the same way that every game need to reward players playing the objective more than the ones just killing.

It's only my oppinion, but being a squad or a team means much more than controlling the actions and inventory of some random players, and as mainly squad/team player, I will be very dissapointed if that cannot be properly weighted in the game.

• Admin

I believe some Making Mavericks is being recorded today, should go out next week probably. (not guaranteed, working on it)

But yes you should see another before beta lands.

• Founders

@sharpy-0001

Can't say I like the idea of everyone's characters having ESP. The whole point of team play is communication, a team that communicates well deserves the advantages that brings.

• Founders

Another thing I forgot to mention in my initial list...

When splitting / dropping items, it would be nice to have more options than typing exact values into a text box. This is especially cumbersome and annoying for those of us without a dedicated number pad on our keyboard. Most of the time, particularly when dealing with large values like ammo, it'd be much easier to use a slider to simply drop a rough amount. A slider would also eliminate the need to remove either hand from its natural position (WASD or mouse).

Here's a mockup I made a while back for PUBG, but the same concept could be applied to Mavericks.

alt text

• Founders

Interestingly, PUBG has finally just implemented muting of individual teammates and displaying personal knocks in the kill feed, as they should have long ago. They've also introduced an item splitting interface very similar to what I suggested in the post above this.

Even more reason to have these features in Mavericks, as PUBG converts will now view them as essential.

• Founders

@ghostcat-0001 Regarding dropping ammo I found it quite easy to just double tap a number, like 22, 33, 44. I mean until we get sliders or similar. I actually find clicking "Enter" to be the worst part 👅

• Founders

Would like to see:

HK-G36(C)
    MTAR-21
    MP-7

Also:

Steyur AUG
    M249
    FAMAS

Throwables:

Knifes
    Smoke, stun, frag and incendiary grenades.
    Axe

Would't it be fun if you could set up traps that would catch players as well as animals?? 😄

• Founders

@jernbesta-0001 said in "Quality of Life" Suggestions:

Would like to see:

HK-G36(C)
    MTAR-21
    MP-7

Also:

Steyur AUG
    M249
    FAMAS

Throwables:

Knifes
    Smoke, stun, frag and incendiary grenades.
    Axe

Would't it be fun if you could set up traps that would catch players as well as animals?? 😄

Not to be too much of a stickler, but weapons don't really fall under quality of life changes.

There's a big weapon discussion thread here if you'd like to check that out.

• Founders

I don't know how well this could be implemented, but as an alternative to a ping on the map, could we have the option to "draw" routes we wish to take? I think this might be especially important if passing multiple terrain types, that way you can help your team find the smoothest path or best sniper perches, etc.