Dynamic Weather and Day/Night Cycle

With the summer seemingly coming to an end here in the UK, it seems fitting to ask you guys what you're most hyped about when it comes to the interesting Dynamic Weather System, and the Day and Night Tech we're developing. Of the many available weather types and times of day, which combinations are you most excited about, and why?

Foggy twilight night or simply a clear sunny day? Here's some 'never-seen-before' exclusive footage of the environment to prompt your thoughts:https://youtu.be/r3M0HNWJ9iY

• Founders

Rain 🍒 🍕

• Founders

Looking good! Some of the patches of grass look a little twitchy (LOD issue maybe?) but otherwise it looks really beautiful!

Hopeful for heavy rain, foggy, night time, maybe some heavy thunder and lightning. Snow!

• Founders

Looks nice. Are the graphics settings from the computer y'all are using cranked to max? Or what sort of rig are y'all running there at the office?

• Founders

That's absolutely gorgeous!

Personally, I'm hoping for thick fog at dawn where it wafts through the valleys, but the higher hills are exposed. I love close range combat, especially if it provides me an opportunity for melee kills. lol

• Founders

@nebbo-0001 said in Dynamic Weather and Day/Night Cycle:

Looking good! Some of the patches of grass look a little twitchy (LOD issue maybe?) but otherwise it looks really beautiful!

Hopeful for heavy rain, foggy, night time, maybe some heavy thunder and lightning. Snow!

I noticed multiple instances of pop-in / LOD changes at relatively short distance, which is unfortunate. Yeah, I know the game is in early development, so I'm not nitpicking just to nitpick...rather, I want the devs to be aware of this kind of thing, which is a bigger issue in a BR game than most other genres. If an enemy is 10 meters away and you think you're hiding behind some shrubs, you better hope they show up on his screen too.

The issues I saw are at 12, 15, 19, 25, and 30 seconds for anyone wondering.

This footage is actually from our E3 build and is a solid few months old. The flickering and LOD popping is something we've iterated upon since E3. The footage above is also missing some key developments we've made since E3, including some neat shaders and additional geometry. I'll try and grab some updated footage as this topic develops, showing you guys where we are as of today.

Thanks for your comments so far! Lighting is something we've been really interested in, like heavy rain it has the potential to mask tactical engagements, whilst snowy landscapes will expose the player's silhouette.

@matroix-0001 I'm not entirely sure what PC the footage was captured on. I can confirm it was in-engine footage and it's likely it was captured on a GTX 1060 or very similar as that's a common card in our office but I can't be certain.

• Founders

@l4wrence Ah OK sounds good.

It only caught my eye because I seem to remember something mentioned in the making mavericks video about using a new technique that was supposed to make LOD popping irrelevant. Hopefully that's what you're referring to, looking forward to see it ☺

Another suggestion:

Very very rare chance of solar/lunar eclipse! The sudden transition from light to twilight or twilight to very dark could completely change an engagement, allowing for potential impromptu manuvers/gambits etc. Not to mention the awesome atmosphere those kinds of phenomena bring.