Expanding our Forge FAQ

• Admin

Hey guys,

So we've had a lot of questions in the Discord about various things you'd like clearing up after the release of our latest video, we'd like to offer up this post for now as a place to ask your questions without them being lost in the Discord.

We ask that you try and keep this on the topic of the Forge and questions surrounding access and content that was mentioned in the video (or not mentioned that you expected)

We'll be collating these and updating our FAQ in the coming days to make sure that you guys have a solid understanding of what's going on and hopefully some insight into the thought process of the team.

Ask away!

• Founders

Do you know when we either will be notified who got in the early founders playtest or when it is starting?

• Founders

All founders enters on 20th. This is your early playtest :))

• Founders

@badjoke-0001 There's gonna be an earlier stress test. I was wondering if they could tell us when it is.

• Founders

Subject: Motion Sickness & Head-bob in First Person

I saw in the new FAQ that game-play for FORGE will be first person. Can you guys confirm if head-bob is in the game? Is it able to be disabled? If head-bob is in the game and not able to be toggled, please consider making this a toggle-able option or implementing in such a way that motion sickness is heavily reduced for effected players. In some cases, head-bob alienates a player base that gets motions sickness from this "feature" in first person. My Duo's partner in PUBG could never play first person because of it and it really sucked.

Reference to why head-bob is wrong in most games:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/PUBATTLEGROUNDS/comments/6r410c/this_is_whats_wrong_with_head_bobbing_in_most/

First reddit comment has star citizen's implementation.

• Founders

@orion_the_cat-0001 stress test wont be with us. you wont get to be part of the stress test chill and wait 20th

• Founders

@badjoke-0001 stress test will be given to a limited amount of founders in an email based on the survey we filled out.

• Founders

@orion_the_cat-0001 said in Expanding our Forge FAQ:

@badjoke-0001 stress test will be given to a limited amount of founders in an email based on the survey we filled out.

[12:24 PM] Anunnaki: We'll be using the survey to get a gauge on specs etc, stress testing as of right now isn't a thing due to how we've changed Forge access.
    [12:24 PM] Anunnaki: We've changed the forge access in such a way that stress testing can be done throughout the Forge (not starting with full 1k player games)
    [12:24 PM] Anunnaki: and building up.
    [12:25 PM] St. Lucifer VI: Wait, so you guys scrapped the stress testing concept altogether?
    [12:25 PM] Anunnaki: So not a first 1k any more, EVERY Founder gets in on the 20th, same time.
    [12:25 PM] Anunnaki: It's something that we're going to be clarifying over the course of the next couple days with follow up questions from you guys etc.
    [12:26 PM] Anunnaki: I think I started calling it a stress test, as really that's what it would have been.
    [12:26 PM] Anunnaki: But we're taking a faster approach to updating, and basing it off stats from within the game and also feedbck.
    [12:27 PM] Anunnaki: No, 20th as of right now is the first date it gets played outside of the office.

• Founders

@sirglitchalot-0001 Thanks for clearing it up.

• Founders

Hi!

Where did the roadmap go and will there be any changes to the release date of "Mavericks: Proving Grounds" which was scheduled by the end of the year (iirc)?

I have the vague impression that you guys are not where you wanted to be by now in the game's development phase. If that's the case I don't mind, good things come to those who wait. Though I would certainly appreciate you clearing up if you feel you are on schedule overall.

• Founders

@orion_the_cat-0001 This is the first question that I thought of after watching the #5 Update video ...

• Founders

I posted this on reddit but due to the lack of any dev interaction there I thought I would share my thoughts on the update forge info that was released:

"That is the thing, I know I keep saying it but this development team has some serious issues. They are deciding to take the indie approach and self publish, fine, it is a valid option these days. However part of that means having a professional marketing and community management team. There should be, at the bare minimum, weekly tweets on progress. There should be weekly dev blogs saying 'we worked on x/y/z' along with pictures, screenshots, video, etc. to inspire confidence and give the community something to build on.

We are getting NONE of this, even the founders only sections are barron. Do they not understand that this is a multiplayer game? Their number one asset is the people playing it, without that they may as well just be making a tech demo to sell to some studio. Without a solid community in place, waiting to jump in and play on release of the beta they are going to have major issues and the way they are managing things right now is killing that.

The other issue I have is that I am starting to have major doubts as others have expressed, about the actual state of the game. When you have artists saying on your video things like 'forge lets us release temporary assets and go back to improve them latter' what I am hearing is that the game is nowhere near ready for beta or even alpha, let alone release to public in two months. If they do not have a game that is for the most part playable and are at the stage of final testing and QA with artists long since finished major works and moved on to producing cosmetics and polish, then they are half a year AT BEST away from being able to release this.

At this stage they should have press playing early demo versions, gameplay clips coming out left and right, trying to build as much hype as possible for a game that will have its trial by fire in 3 weeks and that will need a solid group ready to play in 6 weeks. Instead we have a shy and closited dev team, a hidden 'game' that no one has actually seen since E3 and a monthly update that boiled down to 10 minutes of drivel and excuses with no content."

• Founders

Everything you have said in this post (and your other posts) is wrong.

It's also the reason Automaton have dropped the "beta" name. Due to its misuse (not just in the gaming industry), there is an entire generation of software users that have way too high expectations of what "alpha" or "beta" software should actually be.

(Happy to discuss further in another thread - please don't hijack threads to vent your spleen)

In order to try and drag this back on-topic and help Sam out, I think what you are trying to suggest as a question for the FAQ is:-

Is there an updated Roadmap for the major game milestones (right the way through BR mode to MMO mode)?

• Founders

Another one for you Sam:

When can we get our hands on some kind of official "Media Pack"?

I know there are many people here that want to create fan-sites, stream overlays, etc for as soon as the NDA is lifted.

• Founders

Pulling this one in from another thread too:-

What regions are "The Forge" and final game servers going to be in?

Some peeps are worried about far away servers and high-ping and related PUBG like desync.

• Founders

Q1. What Gargoyle said where will the servers be based and will ping/latency be a issue for some

Q2. with the player drop being scattered through the game is it still possible to have 1000 players on a server at once. Or will the plane drop the next set of players when the kill count gets down for example no more than 200 players live at all times but 1000 players over the course of the match.

Q3. i thought there was going to be a 400 player BR mode and a 1000 player MMO mode is this still the case for the MMO or are they kind of combined now.

Thanks appreciate the chance for a Q&A.

• Founders

@gargoyle-0001 said in Expanding our Forge FAQ:

Everything you have said in this post (and your other posts) is wrong.

It's also the reason Automaton have dropped the "beta" name. Due to its misuse (not just in the gaming industry), there is an entire generation of software users that have way too high expectations of what "alpha" or "beta" software should actually be.

(Happy to discuss further in another thread - please don't hijack threads to vent your spleen)

In order to try and drag this back on-topic and help Sam out, I think what you are trying to suggest as a question for the FAQ is:-

Is there an updated Roadmap for the major game milestones (right the way through BR mode to MMO mode)?

Everything I have said is wrong? Every single thing? I am not hijacking anything for one, I simply made my thoughts available on the forge announcement available for the staff to address as was requested. I do not appreciate being attacked or told to go 'vent my spleen', nor was my post in any way directed towards you or in your purview to respond to unless you had information pertaining to the issues I posted. I am fully aware of the traditional definitions of 'alpha and beta' software. This game is, from what I have seen in the early alpha stages at best with major feature sets still being incomplete. Please try and be constructive when you respond to people in the future.

• Founders

@Electrofried-0001
    Your concerns are legitimate, just on the negative side. Gargoyle seems to be hyperly-optimistic and very opinionated.

Update Frequency
    Increasing the update frequency would be appreciated to build confidence, strengthen community, etc. I am betting we will see more of this once the FORGE opens.

Game State - Art Assets
    I wouldn't judge game state on this. I think their reference to refining art assets could be something like, we added some buildings to this area, tell us what you think! Then if all goes well with the player feedback, they will put final touches on it instead of wasting time on it. Art assets aren't as big of a deal (in a beta) as major functionality in a game like the gunplay, progression, etc.

Alpha Vs. Beta
    Not going to lie, considering the development ahead alluded to in the Dev videos... this seems more alpha than beta, BUT we won't really know until they release forge. At this point we have already bought in, so we might as well wait and see.

Release \ Timeline
    I fully expect them to release like PUBG 1.0 and other multiplayer games; the release is essentially the BETA. Its the current state of the industry. If the product is good enough and people like it enough, they will buy it and play it. Not too big of a deal as long as the dev team is constantly working to improve the game. I had 450 hours pre PUBG 1.0 and I have about 500hrs post 1.0. PUBG is finally nearing a true release status, and probably will be come September once the FIX PUBG campaign completes. This is just how modern game development is done (excluding big AAA like Blizzard in my mind at least). I bet there will be timeline updates on the final release, but then again we have little insight to how many people they have hired or their current development. The FORGE will give us a raw view into their progress. I would re-asses after 1 month of FORGE, then a month later.

• Founders

No, @Electrofried-0001, you have not constructively added to this thread.

Do they not understand that this is a multiplayer game?

This is actually the only question you asked, and it's beyond sarcasm - it's just plain rude!

Other than that you've attacked pretty much every aspect of the dev team, management process and marketing strategy without any knowledge of what is actually happening behind closed doors.

Please furnish us with the long list of games you have personally overseen the development and release of so we have some basis on which to judge your thoughts - otherwise, yes, you are just venting your spleen.

Please try and be constructive when you respond to people in the future

Right back at you. Your concerns are valid but you have not expressed them in a constructive way that would allow them to be addressed in an updated FAQ.

@SirGlitchAlot-0001, I would say more realistic than hyperly-optimistic.

I know what I have gotten into when buying my Founders Pack - I'm enjoying being part of the end of the journey and having the opportunity to shape this game. I realise that timelines and estimates are not set in stone, and yes, there is the possibility that this game won't make it at all. I'm cool with all that.

I'll post more questions below - feel free to up/down vote as you wish.

• Founders

Sam:-

Are there any plans to re-introduce the weekly developer diaries or will these be replaced by something else - such as changelogs, release/patch notes, etc?

As you alluded to in your original post, there is information (and miss-information) fly around all over these forums, Discord, Reddit, etc.

It would be great to have a real blog / news feed on this site/forum which was updated weekly and could be referred to as the single "source of truth".