Limitations on Proning

• Founders

When prone, I'd like to see a player's ability to quickly turn / aim limited to something around 90 degrees. This is in contrast to PUBG where prone players can whip around in a complete 360 just as fast as they can swipe their mouse. It's both wildly unrealistic and makes proning more advantageous than it should be.

If a player chooses to go prone, then decides they want to shoot or scout in a different direction, they should have to either A) temporarily enter a standing or crouching position first, or B) remain prone but turn very slowly while also incurring a penalty to ADS speed.

I feel like this approach would preserve the general utility of proning while adding some needed balance.

Would love to hear what others think about this.

• Founders

I feel like you just died in pubg to situation like this and don't want it in Mavericks.

• Founders

@dracas-0001 said in Limitations on Proning:

I feel like you just died in pubg to situation like this and don't want it in Mavericks.

No need to be condescending.

I honestly can't remember the last time I died to someone "snaking", as I don't play much PUBG anymore anyway.

I happened to be watching a stream when someone in chat complained about proning and said it should be removed from the game. I think that's a silly suggestion, but it got me thinking about how proning could be done better. Thus, I made this thread.

• Founders

Have you actually tried to lie down on the floor, and see just how quickly you can manoeuvre around? So the speed of moving round in the game probably isn't that unrealistic.

What makes it look funny, is that the character isn't animated in the way you would really move. But that's a limitation of the game. Would you be prepared to sacrifice FPS for more character animations for something that comprises a very low percentage of gameplay?

• Founders

@gargoyle-0001 said in Limitations on Proning:

Have you actually tried to lie down on the floor, and see just how quickly you can manoeuvre around? So the speed of moving round in the game probably isn't that unrealistic.

What makes it look funny, is that the character isn't animated in the way you would really move. But that's a limitation of the game. Would you be prepared to sacrifice FPS for more character animations for something that comprises a very low percentage of gameplay?

In PUBG, you can spin just as quickly while prone and ADS as you can while standing or crouching; you're limited only by how quickly you can swipe your mouse. In other words, this means you can instantly flick 180 degrees on an enemy while on your stomach and with both hands on a weapon. Not only is it unrealistic, it's practically impossible.

And I'm not particularly concerned with whether it looks funny or lacks a proper animation. What's important to me is that the mechanic is balanced well, and I think limiting prone turning speed to something less than "instant" is a pretty sensible way of doing that.

• Founders

With the same argument though, @GhostCat-0001, would you not have to also limit the speed you can pivot while standing or crouching?

• Founders

I think it's hard to say what gameplay mechanics we want atm, because we don't have a foundation of what the gameplay is to start with. Will it be snappy and sharp like Counter Strike? Or Flowy and smooth like CoD? Both games try to attain a realistic perspective (to an extent) with the benefit of having a good experience in the game. Mavericks is told to be "hyper-realistic" which may have things from both games, or neither of them. Suggestions are great and I don't want anyone to be limited in that, but just remember that we don't have all the info about the game right now.